[AMPS] Constant Voltage (Sola) Transformer wanted

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:05:21 +0000

Tom Rauch wrote:

>> This is for my remote station where the rig is over 2000' from the
>> transformer and even with thick cables the volt drop is too much.
>
>If the application is for a capacitor input supply, good luck! You will
>need to restore the sine wave better than a sola transformer does,
>and have to use a greatly oversized regulator because of the peak
>current demand at the crest of the sine wave.

Tom's right - the CVT would probably need to be several times more
massive than the B+ transformer.

This looks like a case for either a regulated B+ supply which can
compensate for changes in both mains voltage and load current (there
have been a few articles published - look in the archives of this list)
or else a high-voltage transmission system.

I remember visiting the station of a certain K2 who owned most of a hill
but lived only part-way up. He had a number of VHF shacks farther up the
hill, fed with mains via a pair of back-to-back pole transformers. The
HV wires were some kind of insulated cable, just draped over the
blueberry bushes... which the public were invited to come in and pick
from.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek