[AMPS] 8877 efficiency

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:27:54 -0800

I doubt it's the tube, Alfredo.  You didn't describe the circuitry, but it
sounds as though your 3CX800 amp is 20% more efficient than your 8877 amp!
I built an 8877 for 144 MHz that provided ~60% efficiency, that is 2500Wdc
input for 1500W RF output, using slightly higher Ep than you (4kV), but had
to experiment quite a lot to even allow this efficiency.  For one, I had to
change chassis dimensions (!) because the first chassis used had some weird
resonance that would not allow the plate tank circuit to tune well; going to
a 2" wider chassis helped a lot.  Isn't VHF fun?

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger