[AMPS] Millen HV Connectors Factory Pricing

2 2@vc.net
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:03:11 -0800

>I really get my caps charged (he-he!) about all the bantering regarding the
>Millen hv connectors. I`ve been using reds&whites in both of my 4pr1000a
>amps for over 25 years with no problems at 5500vdc in one amp, 6700vdc ...

In areas of higher humidity, these phenolic connectors would have
absorbed more moisture from the air.

>in the other! I think a lot of problems start with poor design & workmanship
as
>I`ve sure seen a lot of hashed together amps some people try to build!
>Something I discovered several years ago: Belden # 734710 7mm metalic spark
>plug wire,availiable at NAPA auto suppliers, great for hv amp wiring.

This is good HV wire.

>I really can`t figure why anyone would want to run shielding on any hv
>wiring..

For the same reason there is a ground wire connection on AC mains
outlets.  If your amplifier is inadvertently operated with the HV wire
plugged in and the ground return wire not plugged in, the chassis will be
somewhat hot and your next eyeball-QSO could be with Hiram Percy Maxim
and/or Guglielmo Marconi.

>for one thing I would never run hv cabling where the operator(me!)
>could get near it when energized and who in his right mind would handle hv
>cable (or any other hv) without pulling the plug& bleeding the hv?
>Really folks, it tickles me reading some of the lame subject matter on this
>reflector... Now don`t take me wrong... I am no expert on building amps,but
>I take pride in good craftmanship and thats paid off for me over the years!
>73 all around, Jim K7RDX

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end