[AMPS] Two stupid questions

2 2@vc.net
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:24:27 -0800

>Jim: yes you can parallel strands of nichrome, for more current capacity,
>BUT, you will lose the resistance of the wire the same as paralleling
>resistors, thereby losing the resistance advantage of the wire in making
>your suppressors!!!

//   Good point, Carl.   However, the suppressor's inductor -  L-sup) -
must be able (without melting the silver-solder) to carry the portion of
the tank circulating current that passes through the tube's anode-C  at
28MHz.  This current can cause a substantial amount of I^2R heating in
conductors.  In the 8169 amplifier on my Web-site, on the HV tap, this
current is c. 18Arms - the heating equivalent of c. 70A at 60Hz.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end