[AMPS] Two stupid questions

Steve Thompson g8gsq@qsl.net
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 18:05:51 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Strohm <jstrohm@texas.net>
To: amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 24 November 2001 07:56
Subject: [AMPS] Two stupid questions

>Let's say I wanted to duplicate Rich's nichrome wire transient suppressors,
>but I didn't have any large-gauge nichrome wire.  But I did have an old
>spool of #26 nichrome.  Is there any reason I couldn't twist a large number
>of strands tightly together to make a conductor of the appropriate size?
>The ends of the finished conductor would be silver-soldered together, but
>not the body of the wire, so it would maintain its conductivity as
nichrome.
On a 8877 6m amp, I tried an experiment of twisting together several (six,
maybe eight, I think) strands of enamelled 1.6mm (.064") wire to get
something with an overall larger cross section. Much easier to handle than
fighting with copper tube when experimenting with tank coil dimensions.
After only 10s seconds running, the enamel went up in smoke and the wire
fried. Some 3/8 copper tube the same winding dimensions was absolutely fine.
It would appear that you can't rely on a simple assumption of paralleling
the wires at rf.

Steve