[AMPS] transformer oil revisited

Ken Barber Ken Barber" <kenw2dtc@home.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:11:22 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C14B43.BB985820

   First of all thanks to the many who replied, I got a lot of good =
information. I learned a lot and I appreciate it, you guys are really =
great.  My power company is so large and so protected that I was unable =
to make contact with anyone who know anything. The maintenance =
department referred me to the transportation department etc......
   The suggestion to buy 5 weight mobil-1 was interesting but nowhere =
could I locate this weight oil.
   Someone (many thanks to you!) steered me to MFJ who sells this oil =
and that is my solution to my problem.  I just placed my order.
Again thanks,
  73,
   Ken W2DTC
Hi,
  I purchased an old military 1000 watt dummy load at a hamfest today.  =
It is quite large and has industrial size radiators.  I ran 500 watts =
into it for about 5 minutes.  I noticed that the input area where the =
"N" connector is fastened got quite warm, whereas the rest of the dummy =
load didn't seem to get warm at all.  I opened it up and found that the =
oil is low and would not completely cover up the resistive element and =
that the oil is rather dirty.  I saw in a radio handbook that =
transformer oil may be obtained from the local power company, so I will =
try them as a source.  If you know of another source, please let me know =
who it is.
  I know nothing about oil and heat transfer, so could someone explain =
why one could not use motor oil or mineral oil or cooking oil such as =
olive oil ?  Secondly, should the transformer oil be filled right up to =
the top of the dummy load or should there be a little room for =
expansion?
73,
Ken W2DTC

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C14B43.BB985820

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" =
size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;First of all=20
thanks to the many who replied, I got a lot of good information. I =
learned a=20
lot&nbsp;and I&nbsp;appreciate it, you guys are really great.&nbsp; My =
power=20
company is so large and so protected&nbsp;that I was unable to make =
contact with=20
anyone who know anything.&nbsp;The maintenance department referred me to =
the=20
transportation department etc......</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The =
suggestion=20
to buy&nbsp;5 weight mobil-1 was interesting but nowhere could&nbsp;I =
locate=20
this&nbsp;weight&nbsp;oil.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"=20
size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></STRONG>Someone (many thanks to you!) =
steered=20
me to MFJ who sells this oil and that is my solution to my =
problem.&nbsp; I just=20
placed my order.</DIV>
<DIV>Again thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; 73,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; Ken W2DTC</DIV>
<DIV>---------------------------------------------------</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" =
size=3D4>Hi,</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>&nbsp; I purchased an =

old&nbsp;military&nbsp;1000 watt dummy load at a hamfest today.&nbsp; It =
is=20
quite large and has industrial&nbsp;size radiators.&nbsp; I ran 500 =
watts into=20
it for about 5 minutes.&nbsp; I noticed that the&nbsp;input area where =
the "N"=20
connector is fastened got quite warm, whereas the rest of the dummy load =
didn't=20
seem to get warm at all.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></STRONG><STRONG><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>I opened it up and found that the oil is =
low and=20
would not completely cover up the resistive element and that the=20
oil&nbsp;is&nbsp;rather dirty.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></STRONG><STRONG><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>I saw in a radio handbook =
that&nbsp;transformer oil=20
may be obtained from the local power&nbsp;company, so I will try them as =
a=20
source.&nbsp; If you know of another source, please let me know who it=20
is.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>&nbsp; I know nothing =
about oil=20
and heat transfer, so could someone explain why one could not use motor =
oil or=20
mineral oil or cooking oil such as olive oil ?&nbsp;&nbsp;Secondly, =
should the=20
transformer oil be filled right up to the top of the dummy load&nbsp;or =
should=20
there be a little room for expansion?</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" =
size=3D4>73,</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D4>Ken =
W2DTC</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"=20
size=3D4></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></STRONG></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C14B43.BB985820--