[AMPS] re al1500

2 2@vc.net
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 07:24:08 -0700

>Con, 3 minute warm up time on an 8877...

//  This isn't much of a problem if the station operator switches on the
8877's heater whenever the transceiver is switched on.

>Some argue over the lack of parasitic suppressor and some tube reliability
>issues.....

//  There are more than a few AL-1500 owners who have gone through more
than a few 8877s during the first 12-months.   Nacherly, the expert who
designed the AL-1500 blames Eimac.  /see Figure 24 on my Web site/  The
long excursion on the wide river in the Land of the Pharoahs continues.
-  Before purchasing a used AL-1500 amplifier, I would perform the
Funderberg gold sputter test on the 8877.  This test is described on my
Web site.  The test takes about a minute.

>Personally the AL1200 is more of a war horse...  its a contesters favorite,
>like the energizer bunny....

//  Even though the 3cx1200A7 has about 10-times as much feedback-C as a
3cx1200Z7, and, understandably, has a well deserved reputation for
squirrelish antics and big bangs, the filament helices are not nearly as
subject to bending as a 3-500Z's, so grid-filament shorts are rare
following a big bang.   However, If I owned an AL-1200, or any
MFJ-Ameritron amplifier, I would add a suitable glitch resistor in series
with the positive lead of the anode supply.

cheers, Phil W2GE

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end