[AMPS] Filament resistance and power output

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:15:24 -0400

I resoldered the filament pins on the ailing 3-500Z, and then put it in the
opposite socket, thinking that the spring tension might be better there.  I
also rebent the spring clips on the original socket and cleaned and treated
the filament pins with Caig ProGold GxL, which is rated for use up to 400C.

When I fired the amp up, with the originally OK tube in the not-OK socket,
I was surprised to see that tube's filament was noticeably brighter than
the other one.  So I repeated the ProGold treatment on the other socket,
and the filament brightness equalized at the higher level.  Then I turned
on the amp, and was startled to see that my output had increased 100 watts,
with the same drive and other conditions.

I don't quite understand what's going on here.  From time to time I've
heard amazing things about Caig's products, such as Deoxit, but this was a
new one on me.  What's the physical explanation, if any?

73, Pete N4ZR