[AMPS] Re: [ETO_Alpha] B&W 802 plate choke in an Alpha 77Dx

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:22:05 -0400

> Anyone have the specs for a B&W 802 plate choke?  Anyone know if it can
> safely be used as a substitute for a B&W 800 in the Alpha 77Dx?

Yes.  In fact, the added inductance will in the #802 will allow for 24 MHz
operation with the 77DX/77Dx/77/PA70-V.

Dick Byrd, N4UQ, offers an exchange program where he sends you an #802
equivalent replacement in exchange for your old 800.  I don't recall the
cost but it was more than reasonable.

The ceramic core is essentially the same between  the 800 and 802.  Dick
simply strips the magnet wire and rewinds it with ~ 1.5 inches of additional
wire.  He also increases the wire gauge size which allows for safer
operation in the 77Sx.  I believe the following link will take you to Dick's
sire where you can obtain additional information.

http://www.jps.net/n4uq/

-Paul, W9AC