[AMPS] SB-220 cooling

Mike Baker k7dd@qwest.net
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:56:43 -0700

Hello Pete,
    I hope you are kidding about running  your amp for any extended period
of time with the case off; especially a contest.   WHY?  I can think of
about 2600 to 2900 reasons why not too.  Because there is just under 3KV
exposed and within easy enough reach if not paying attention to where your
hand might be headed. Especially in those middle of the nite runs of JA's
after you have been at it for 16 + hours already and you decide to make a
tweak to the amps adjustments just after making a band change so you can
grab a few new multi's and, OOPS!  If you are lucky, you only get a really
bad burn that heals up a few weeks.  If your luck just ran out, well,
someone else is going to get a good deal on a "slightly used" SB-220!!  If
you really insist on doing this please feel free to put me in your will. ;+}
    All kidding aside, ask yourself a few simple questions. During a
contest, have you ever reached up to tune the amp and grabbed the wrong
knob?  Like the band switch maybe?  Tried to tune the amp while it is set to
the wrong band? Used the wrong antenna?  Forgot the antenna?  Grabbed the
knob on your antenna tuner instead?  If in your time as a ham you have NEVER
made one of these faults, go buy a lottery ticket because the rest of us
have done it.  I can only guess at the number of guys reading this saying to
themselves, "yep, did that one. Oh, yea that one too. Nice to know I am not
the only one committing these OOPSis."
    Please read my response to a first time amp builder attached here.  I am
not implying anything personal about your habits. Just pointing out the
faults we all have as human beings.  If we are careful, we can make a few
mistakes and live to tell the tail.  If not, someone else gets to make your
XYL a deal on your gear and throws all your QSL's away and you get one last
entry in QST under "Silent Keys".
    Pete, leave the cabinet in place while using it.  It will give us all a
lot longer to pick on you via e-mail. ;>)
    Best 73
Mike Baker  K7DD
k7dd@qwest.net