[AMPS] SB-220 cooling

n2bc@stny.rr.com n2bc@stny.rr.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:53:15 GMT

Mike brings up an excellent point - "grabbing the wrong knob"

Our club has an SB-220. It's used by all manner of folks & in the frenzy of a
contest it gets lots of abuse.   I found that changing the bandswitch knob to
something significantly different (smaller) reduces the cuss words heard
through the wee hours.

On the cooling thread....   We all operate using headphones - the noise
from 'station #2" is always worse than any equipment noise.  This said, we have
a big muffin fan (10" diameter - BIG!) sitting on top of the SB-220 pulling air
out of the cabinet.  Makes a huge difference in the internal temps. We throttle
the fan back with a normal lamp dimmer switch to abt half speed, the noise
really not a problem.

It's ugly, but then the '220 looks pretty stupid with that tiny bandswitch knob
anyway!

pop-server.stny.rr.com