[AMPS] HV warning

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:29:03 -0600

Peter C. said:
>That's a rule that I follow now, but interestingly, back in the '60s, we often
>went for a beer or two at lunchtime, and back to work in the
>afternoon - on high
>power tx's (30kW and up). Even when testing transformers, a pub lunch wasn't
>unknown, when transformers  were tested open on the bench, with voltages up to
>10kV at a few hundred mA.
>
>We have a different culture these days, although thinking back, there weren't
>any accidents caused by HV. Long hair in machines, slipping on oily floors and
>so on. Interesting.

Yes, we did this also. Lunchtime, a few brews, then back to high
power RF test work.
Even today, a beer at lunch doesn't seem abnormal, but two of them,
well, depends on the person. For myself one is adequate, two
excessive (at lunch I mean).

At CERN, the large particle accelerator complex near Geneva, wine and
beer are sold in the cafeteria at lunch. I don't believe that they
have lost an excessive # of workers due to it, although they did get
sabatoged when someone left a beer bottle inside the evacuated
beamline deep inside the tunnel for one of the large synchrotrons
there a few years back, and they couldn't get the particles to
accelerate past the 'obstruction'.

On another note, HF has been erratic this weekend, sometimes 10 is
really open. Lots of solar activity going on.

73
John
K5PRO