[AMPS] Choke input PS question

2 2@vc.net
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 02:43:20 -0700

>Greetings,
>
>I'm building another power supply for my amplifier
>project.  I originally set out to use a capacitor
>input design commonly used but have since (tonight)
>found a large (13H) choke.  I was told by the OM that
>I got it from that I could probably put it in the CT
>lead and not have to worry about any spark gap
>procedures.

Choke filters work well in applications where the load current is
constant - such as RTTY, AM linear and FM.  With SSB, where the load
current is not constant,  a choke filter causes a transient V regulation
problem.  To observe this problem, one needs a DC 'scope.  A
resonant-choke filter works well for SSB.

cheers