[AMPS] Cleaning aluminum variable capacitors

Phil (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:00:12 -0400

At 04:21 AM 10/21/2001 -0700, n0tt1@juno.com wrote:

>Greeting gents,
>
>I bought a large variable capacitor for at a hamfest recently and
>the plates are somewhat corroded....something I knew about
>before I bought it for practically nothing.  I have taken
>the unit apart, individual plates and all.
>
>What's the best way to clean the corrosion off the plates?

I use a loose-knit buffing wheel on a motor to do this. It's a bit of work
but after buffing every plate and part, the result was a mirror finish. I
lightly loaded the buffing wheel with a whitish buffing compound that comes
in a solid bar.  After buffing I washed all the parts in Varsol (mineral
spirits, paint thinner).

Phil