[AMPS] ground loop?

2 2@vc.net
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:54:14 -0700

>This is a puzzling situation here in the shack.  I have a 117 volt
>receptacle that shows a voltage reading of 117 when I measure between
>the ground hole and hot water register in the room.  Obviously, this is
>a dangerous situation.
>When I checked out the receptacle, I found that there wasn't any ground
>wire connected to the box(old wiring, new  3 prong receptacle added by
>previous owner).  I ran a ground to a cold water pipe nearby and voltage
>between ground and radiator disappeared.  I was happy with my success
>until I turned out a lamp that was on in the shack and the breaker
>popped.  I removed the new ground wire and reset the breaker and now
>we're back to where we started.  Any suggestions?

//  The white wire is usually the neutral.  All of the neutral wires
connect back to the ground of the breaker box.  You can confirm this by
measuring the potential to a ground.  Although it's not according to
code, when no ground wire is available, connecting the outlet's ground
terminal to the neutral terminal holds the ground to no more than a few
volts max.  above gnd.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end