[AMPS] RE: RF Amplifier Discussion Digest V4 #283

Dick Green dick.green@valley.net
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 03:25:07 -0400

Jim,

If the resistor is a cement wirewound unit mounted on a board underneath the
QSK board (at the left rear of the chassis), and the board also has a large
black plastic box, then it's part of the step start circuit. The box is the
step start relay. If the resistor is blown you won't get any HV. My LK-500ZC
randomly blew that resistor a couple of times until I replaced it with a
higher-quality ceramic wirewound. I don't recall it being a 5W 1-ohm,
though. I thought it was a 10W or 20W 10-ohm. but I could be wrong. I can't
tell without pulling the cover, and I don't have time for that right at the
moment.

If it's a glitch resistor attached to the B- or B+, it's not a stock part. I
had to add one of those to my amp to protect the plate circuit components.
Actually, the step start might be a modification, too.

The best source of information about these amps is Billy Edwards at Omega
Electronics (http://www.omega-electronics.com/). He can tell you all about
the step start unit.

73, Dick WC1M