[AMPS] Glitch Resistors

G McNeil vk4tzl@bigpond.com
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 19:17:49 +1000

To add further to the debate...which I might add is very interesting and
informative, what is the general opinion in using a replacement jug element
??

To elaborate, down here in VK land, we have jugs ( kettle's, urns etc) that
use a wirewound element on a ceramic former. They are rated at 240v,
1600watt and cost about $3.50 AUD. They measure about 40 ohms and consist of
a length of nichrome (??) spiral wire wound on a ceramic former that is
about 55mm long, 30mm wide and about 5mm thick. It comes with two long
stainless steel rods fitted that allow it to be mounted in the jug, but
these are easily removed and you end up with a 40 ohm wirewound resistor on
a ceramic former. The whole thing is obviously exposed but can be easily
mounted on standoff insulators inside a supply.

Is this thing useable as a glitch resistor ??

Regards,

Glenn
VK4TZL