[AMPS] SB-1000 mods?

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 00:02:18 -0500

Eimac's bulletin says that they want  the peak energy limited
to 50 joules. They say that a 50 ohm resistor will limit current
to 40 amps. If the value of the resistor is larger than necessary,
it will delay the action of the primary breakers/fuses. All these
things have to be considered in designing a HV glitch protection
circuit. The Eimac bulletin is a valuable tool in designing and
testing such a device.
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC
> Yes, of course, a faster dump means more peak current - that is my concern.
The 10 ohm
> resistor and the components/wiring in series with it will experience a peak
current ~3.6 times
> greater than with the 36 ohm resistor. At what point do I become concerned?
IOW, what is
> the optimum value for the glitch resistor all other things (surge capacity)
being equal? I think
> Ian recommends (as a rule of thumb) something like 20 ohms per/KV on his
website.