[AMPS] Series C at tube, Sorry, for C read L

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:42:09 +0200

> >Sorry, brain slipped out of gear. Meant Series L.
> >cheers
>
> //    More tubes in parallel proportionately lowers RL

Not necessarily it lowers because RL isn't inherently changed by tubes
in parallel. To the limit, overall RL can increase if supply voltage is
increased and current stay the same or even decreases.

> proportionately increases the amount of C-Tune

Again this is true if RL effectively decreases but in the other cases
only the output tubes capacitance is what adds.
This capacitance increase without a compensating RL decrease can
sometimes be a problem on high bands where a large residual capacitance
(tubes + plateC + stray) can force to abnormally high loaded Q PI
design.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

> needed to achieve the
> desired Q of 10 to 15.  Thus, using 1, 813 or 6, 813s is essentially
the
> same game.  More tubes simply means Lower RL, More C-tune/C-load,
Less
> tank L, and More RF circulating current (approx. = Q x I-anode.).
This
> matter is yet another one of amateur-radio's, brain slipped out of
gear,
> tired old wives' tales.
>
> cheerio, Barry.

Barry