[AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors

2 2@vc.net
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:32:21 -0700

>> Anyway, I plan to pull all the caps this weekend and check the
>> resistors. I hate to got to a smaller wattage, higher resistance
>> design even though I did that successfully in my SB200, which clearly
>> showed signs of heat damage to the caps. The bakelite (or similar)
>> board with the caps and equalizing resistors is nicely done and a
>> retrofit would be a jury rig. They use solder lugs and nicely dressed
>> solid wire for the interconnections, one of which was never soldered
>> (which I only discovered when I pulled this apart for repair.)
>
>Just don't fall into the trap that one person does, and say that all
>high-power bleeders or equalizers are "bad" and replace them.
>
>The resistor does not make the capacitor heat up, unless the
>ventilation is poorly planned around the resistor. The correct cure
>would be to improve ventilation or move the resistors further
>away...not to use insufficient resistance as one person always
>suggests.

//  (ref SB-1000 and AL-80 owners' manuals)
When challenged on his assertion that the 3-500Z was re-rated by Eimac
for 500mA , Mr. Rauch said that he would post the Eimac letter
authorizing such.  This was around three years ago, and we are still
waiting. We have been waiting even longer for the letter refuting the
Eimac HR department's information that Joseph 'Buzz' Miklos, Mr. Rauch's
alleged "R&D Engineering Manager" at Eimac's SLC facility was an
Engineer-B.
-  I have never seen a spec sheet from an electrolytic capacitor mfg.
which ignored capacitance in determining equalizer resistance.
-

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end