[Amps] Emission Standards Regarding SSB & AM Bandwidth

Mike W4EF@dellroy.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:52:35 -0800

Sounds like the 3KHz its not stated explicitly in rules,
but rather implied in the following:

>97.307(a):  No amateur station transmission shall
occupy more bandwidth than necessary for the
information rate and emission type being transmitted,
in accordance with good amateur practice.<

It seems obvious to me that a signal with excessive
splatter would be considered non-compliant as the
distortion sidebands doesn't carry any useful information
and aren't consistent with good amateur practice.
On the other hand, if you have a 10 KHz wide IF
filter in your transmitter and a studio microphone
setup to run cleanly without excessive IMD, then I
suppose one could argue that the signal is no wider
than necessary to convey the information in your voice,
even though the resulting A3J signal could be up to
10 KHz wide. This argument would hinge on your
ability to make the case that there is meaningful
information in your voice spectrum above 3 KHz.
In the case of clean DSB-AM signal, the 2X
additional bandwidth would be okay since it would
be consistent "the emission type being transmitted".