[Amps] Bird discussion and other things

Ron w8ron@stratos.net
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:25:07 -0400

Hi Gary.
If that is the case , it still is valid to use the Smith Chart with a zero line length .

It has been a while since I played with one so I didn't dig it out an go through it.
I believe you start by normalizing the chart as some are set to 50 ohms and some are set
to 1 as a factor for any impedance.
If this is so , then it would seem that you line section is set to 1000 ohms and the
connection element is running at that impedance.

Bill made a point that the current to voltage ratio is set when the load impedance is 50
ohms and that is where the current and voltage pickups in the Bird(tm) meet equal pickup
to null an in phase load when measuring reflected power. Even though your load is in
phase , the coupling of voltage and current are not equal at 1000 ohms and so you
reading are the sum and difference of the pick-up from those magnitudes.
---
Ron