[Amps] powerline capacitors

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:49:28 -0400

Because I've been fighting powerline noise, I've become much more aware of
the details of what's up there.  One thing that I notice at intervals on
3-phase 34.5 KV lines around here is banks of capacitors mounted up on the
poles, each bank connected to one phase.  I presume these are some sort of
line conditioning (power factor correction?) but wondered whether they were
of a value to be useful in power supplies?  Certainly the voltage rating is
more than adequate, and the cases seem large enough that they might have
some useful capacitance.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at