[Amps] Warm Coax question

Doc Johnson bluescreen@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:50:39 -0400

I am not sure where to ask this question but it kinda fits in this forum. I
have a 2 meter repeater system. It consists of multiple RX feeding a voting
system then feeding a 375 watt Micor xmitter. The xmitter is located on top
of a building approx 60' away from the antenna (DB224 4 bay dipole) which
is fed with 7/8" foam hardline. I am using a 2' jumper to connect the
xmitter to the antenna  which has been 9913 and rg213. The jumper gets
quite warm to the point it is uncomfortable to touch. Another confusing
issue is I tune the amp up with a Bird watt meter and when I remove the
watt meter the plate current lowers by about 50-75 mills.  Any input? SWR
is 1.3.:1 which seems a touch high for an antenna that is tuned for the
amateur band.