[Amps] RE: Solid State HF amps and kits

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:18:52 +0100

Steve Thompson wrote:

>-----Original Message-----
>From: PAUL HEWITT <wd7s@att.net>
>To: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>; 'WYsixK' <wy6k@yahoo.com>; 'Jim Strohm'
><jstrohm@texas.net>; amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
>Date: 19 April 2002 17:45
>Subject: RE: [Amps] RE: Solid State HF amps and kits
>

>>Michael
>>You might also try this link for small
>>quantity boards.
>>http://www.apcircuits.com/  Their P1
>>service (two sided FR4) is very
>>reasonable if you stick to their "free"
>>drill sizes
>
>I've not tried the service, but www.pcb-pool.com looks to have an
>interesting offer for prototyping.

Also http://www.olimex.com/pcb/ have low-cost offers for particular
board sizes, so long as you want double-sided FR4 with top-side
component ID and bottom-side solder mask - which many people do.

There are probably many other "consolidator" companies like them, who
include your board(s) on very large panels that they have made at a very
low price. They then slice and dice the panels, and pass (some of) the
saving back to you.

However, I haven't tried any of these because my regular supplier has
very low setup costs. Starting from Gerber files and drilling files -
standard output from any PCB software - they charge about $17 per shot
for photoplotting, so that's about $50 total for two track sides plus
component ID. They make no separate drill setup charge. Some companies
charge for each drill size, some only charge for more than 8 different
sizes (the maximum the machine can hold, so more means stopping and
re-loading) while others have a standard set of sizes and only charge
for anything different.

No doubt I'm paying this particular supplier a little more for the
actual boards to make up for the very low setup charges... but I' rather
have it that way because it encourages new development. A $500 setup
charge is sheer piracy.

New e-mail: g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
New website: http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek