[Amps] winding forms for coils and glitch resistors

skipp isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:16:55 -0700

-
>>Is there any mileage in making a home brew glitch
>>resistor for use in series with the B+ using Nicrome
>>wire on a 1 inch diameter ceramic former?
-
#  I would build one out of grooved Delrin or ABS
# tubing and Ni-Cr resistance wire.
-
One group of people I work with will often wind
their own coils. I've noticed one person found and
purchased large diameter plastic screws, probably
from a Company like McMaster Carr in SoCal.
-
I haven't had time to check the rf properties of this
plastic, but they are winding up a storm for NMR
probe coils.  They seem to be transparent to RF in
the 45-330MHz range.  Heat is not an issue in
their current applications.
-
Might be a source of  a "poor mans coil form" which
works out well.  The home brew coil is much more
rigid/stable on these large plastic screws. Looks
like I'll be looking into the source of the bag next
trip in (later today).
-
skipp

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!