[Amps] winding forms for coils and glitch resistors

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:07:25 -0700

>-
>>>Is there any mileage in making a home brew glitch
>>>resistor for use in series with the B+ using Nicrome
>>>wire on a 1 inch diameter ceramic former?
>-
>#  I would build one out of grooved Delrin or ABS
># tubing and Ni-Cr resistance wire.
>-
>One group of people I work with will often wind
>their own coils. I've noticed one person found and
>purchased large diameter plastic screws, probably
>from a Company like McMaster Carr in SoCal.
>-
>I haven't had time to check the rf properties of this
>plastic,

ABS and other styrenes have a low dissipation-factor.  Delrin has a
medium dissipation-factor.  When a commercial "3kW" tuner, which used a
Delrin roller coil form, was tested in the ARRL lab, the roller coil
reportedly melted and ignited.

>but they are winding up a storm for NMR
>probe coils.  They seem to be transparent to RF in
>the 45-330MHz range.  Heat is not an issue in
>their current applications.
>-
>Might be a source of  a "poor mans coil form" which
>works out well.

For up to a few hundred kHz, Delrin is not terrible.