[Amps] al80a

2 2@vc.net
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 04:54:05 -0700

>>99% of that stuff is just needless folklore originated by people who
>>sell kits.
>>
>While rooting around inside the SB-1000, I checked the carbon resistor
>in the paralytic choke... good as new.

**  What was the measured resistance? //   I have found that intermittent
vhf parasites are so brief they can damage the element of a carbon-comp
resistor without exhibiting damage to the moulded case.  Thus, a
new-appearing carbon-comp resistor can have several times more ohms than
its specified value.

>>> Take care about the glitch diode. In an SB-1000 (same animal) that
>>> someone else had "pre-repaired", I had weird meter readings on 160m
>>> until the glitch diode was replaced with a 1N5408. It turned out that
>>> his no-name diode was rectifying at 1.8MHz!
>>
>>He might not have installed the RF choke or the bypass caps, or used a
>>diode with a low threshold voltage.
>>
>The RF choke and bypass caps were there as standard. Since the screwy
>meter readings were only on one band (the lowest) I put it down to RF
>rectification rather than purely threshold voltage.

**  In your opinion, is 88-ohms of XC an acceptable bypass for c. 1A-rms
of RF current?

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end