[Amps] Commander-II 144MHz amp PSU woes (and Tempo 2002A)

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 18:09:03 -0700

FWB:  More efficient transformer possible, less ripple due to ripple
cancellation feature. Higher V easier to obtain.  Switchable to FWB for
RTTY/FM/AŘ with spst switch [half-V].

>> >I have never been a fan of voltage doubler power supply designs -
>> >okay they save a few diodes, but they charge one half of the caps
>> >on each half-cycle of the mains, and if memory serves rely on a
>> >low impedance transformer design, and the output voltage under
>> >load is more susceptible to quality of the mains supply...
>> >
>> **  not the case. However, a FWD requires a transformer with minimal
>> Cu-losses and it needs twice the filter-C.  The pluses are low-Ripple and
>> a transformer design that requires less paper insulation, which can
>> thusly have more Cu.
>>
>> >Comments/suggestions welcome...
>> >

>> >I switched over to my friend's Henry Tempo 2002A (which hadn't
>> >been used in over 2 years) and it would only produce about 500W
>> >out max. I was concerned by a slight ticking and hissing noise
>> >coming from the 8 x 180uF 450V caps in the EHT supply, so I
>> >shut it off and had a measure around.
>> >
>> **  Hissing =s new filter caps.
>
>Exactly what I thought, hence why I turned it off...
>

>> >The 8 caps each have a 470K 2W carbon resistor across them
>> >for voltage equalisation - found that they varied in resistance from
>> >about 900K to 1.8M and one was open :-(
>> >
>> **  Wow.  A new world record.
>
>Well, its an old amp. Its had a hard time, bashed about in contests, stored
>in a garage and/or truck - probably got damp in it, specially with "british
>weather" in contests - we have had events with significant "fog" inside the
>operating tent before when sat 2200' up in the wilds...
>
>Guess its taken it toll...

Weather seems an unlikely reason.