[Amps] 6A rectifier diode choice

2 2@vc.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:35:37 -0700

**To do it, one needs to double up the individual diodes.  2, 3A-rated
diodes in parallel will dissipate heat better than one 6A diode -
provided the pair has an air-gap.

> I have a PSU design software package that reports 3.5A peak at 2 amp
>DC RMS in a fwb.

Typical I-peak in a C-filter PS supply runs c. 10-x  average output
current.

> Why do the manufacturers say 2amp max?

**The 1n5408 is mfg-rated at 3A average, 200a-pk, .

>I was hoping for a
>near 2 times safety margin. I would be most happy to carry on using 1N5408s
>as I have had zero failures in 6 years so far.........

So spend a bit extra for glass-passivated 3A units and employ forced air
cooling.

cheers, Conrad

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end