[Amps] ALPHA 77 SX UPDATE

2 2@vc.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 06:39:04 -0700

>>>Two tubes also have double the input capacitance and half the input
>>>impedance, so the feedback situation remains the same.
>>
>>**  Ian -- How do you explain that 2, 3-500Z amplifiers have a greater
>>reputation for squirreliness than 1, 3-500Z amplifiers?
>
>"Reputation for squirreliness"? Right, so you're looking for a real
>in-depth technical analysis here...

Squirreliness = marginal VHF/UHF stability.

>If we've learned one thing on this list, it is that there's a huge range
>of variability between different amp designs using the same tubes... and
>even between different individual amps.

Agreed, however, more feedback-C is hardly good news because it is built
into the tube and it is not adjustable.

>But if forced to give a general answer, I'd guess it is probably because
>multiple-tube amps can have more oscillation modes than single-tube, and
>also because lead lengths have to be longer.

Multi-tube amps also have multiples of the feedback-C for a single tube.
Without feedback-C, oscillation would not be a problem.

>>>If the grid is nailed down firmly - VHF-style, using multiple contact
>>>fingers on the grid ring - then it's questionable whether any VHF
>>>parasitic suppressors are needed in a single-8877 amp for HF.
>>
>>**  So why did the gold-plating on the 8877's grid boil off in Figure 24
>>on my Web site ?
>>
>I have no idea. The evidence shows only that the gold *did* melt

**  true, and it shows that the top layer of gold atoms boiled
off/evaporated and condensed into gold melt-balls.

>- but
>there is not enough evidence to prove *why*.

**  Eimac's W. B. Foote stated that the 8877 development team determined
that gold occasionally boils off during an "oscillation condition".
Eimac's Reid Brandon later told *QST* that Mr. Foote was "not authorized"
to release this information to me.

>>>After all,
>>>the same tube is quite stable in VHF amps, where the input and output
>>>are both *deliberately* tuned to the same frequency!
>>
>>In a VHF amplifier, there is a VHF load.  In a MF/HF amplifier, a VHF
>>load is not present in case the amplifier tries to oscillate at the
>>anode's VHF-resonance.
>>
>Nope - if the grid is well grounded, a typical VHF GG amplifier is
>stable with *no* input or output load, or with any combination of
>input/output load and phase.

**  Does a well-grounded 8877 grid have a self-resonant frequency?

>>>The same of course
>>>applies to the 3CX800 and similar ceramic tubes with a full grid ring.
>>>
>>>However, with two tubes in parallel there is also the possibility of
>>>push-pull VHF resonances, so parasitic suppressors would probably be a
>>>good idea to kill this mode.
>>
>>**  However, VHF suppressors will melt down at VHF.
>
>Say what?

**  By design, above 30MHz, VHF suppressors become progressively lossy.
If a VHF suppressor does not get perditionly hot at VHF, it is not
performing its job.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end