[Amps] Boat Anchor

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:11:29 -0700

Hi Joe,

It looks like an experimenter's paradise in there.  I see connections and
wires going nowhere -- assume these are rendered superfluous by new and
added circuitry-?  The high-Q parasitic suppressors are not a good thing,
usually.  (They look like little tank coils for a 2m transmitter -- maybe
will work like them, too.)

The parasitic suppressors appear to be periliously close to the cooling fan
blades, but maybe that's just camera angle.  Assume they're in proper
position when the tubes are in place.

I can't help but wonder why somebody would go to all this work to "improve"
a circuit that didn't really need any improvement.  In my experience (hazy
memories of 30 years ago, but memories nonetheless) the Mark I wasn't a bad
amp, and was improved by splitting out the power supply in the Mark II
version.  Assume somebody added some zener bias diode(s) for the 3-500Z's?
I think the original 3-400Z's didn't need any.  Looks like the mod included
adding some tube pin connections topside of the sockets, kind of
unconventional -- wonder why that was done?

Anyway, let us know how it works!

73,

Steve WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti