[Amps] bangs in 3cx800

2 2@vc.net
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:11:04 -0700

>>that uses a pair 3cx800. About a minute or so after I first turned it on
>>[nothing hooked to it but the power cord] I heard a very loud bang. So I
>>shut if off and inspected for damage. Nothing found.
>>
>>While reading the manual imagine my surprise to see the bang
>>mentioned, said to not be that uncommon, and not to worry about it unless it
>>starts happening often--then replace the tube.
>
>	I'm an appliance operator, here to learn ... but I can't help commenting
>on the above. What kind of an amp manufacturer says "It'll bang sometimes
>when you turn it on; if it happens a lot, replace the $350 tube."?

**  On p.14, Kenwood's TL-922 manual talks about "normal arcing" in the
tank.  Those with access to a spectrum analyzer know that  normal arcing
and bangs coincide with a signal intermittently being generated at c.
120MHz.  If not corrected, "normal arcing" will eventually destroy the
5kV SagadenkiŽ bandswitch and/or cause grid/fil shorts.

>Apparently the answer to that is Ameritron. Is this a common practice??

**  Not Invented Here syndrome is undoubtedly a common practice.

>	My ACOM 1000 manual certainly says no such thing ... nor does the amp make
>any noises at all.

As I understand it, ACOM does not use High-VHF-Q parasitic suppressors.

cheers, Gene