[Amps] rocky point effect, barnacle bill

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:21:16 -0700

>I don't know, Rich. Tom, told me on this very forum that Ameritron sized
>their glitch resistors based on service history. I have some glitch
>resistors in
>my shop that Tom recommended (I believe they are RCD brand). They
>came from Ameritron's parts stock.

Apparently, Tom is beginning to come around.  A few years back he said
that glitch resistors were not needed due the high ESR of the filter caps
Ameritron uses*.   Who knows? - maybe someday Tom will realize that high
VHF-gain tubes like the 8877 need a VHF parasitic suppressor to make them
less unstable in MF/HF applications.  It seems he's beginning to think
better because about a month ago he got the series-to-parallel
equivalency idea behind a VHF parasitic suppressor pretty much right -
except for the part about how a VHF suppressor reduces VHF amplification.

*  I have never seen an electrolytic with enough ESR for glitch service.
 And if there was one made, it would run way too hot to last because heat
is the enemy of electrolytics.

cheers, Mike