[Amps] hENRY 2K-3 FAN NOISE

George T. Daughters gdaught6@leland.stanford.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:47:50 +0008

Hi,

Why all the fuss?  There has been lots of talk about noisy fans...

> vibration (superior balance) and better CFM control. For those wanting
> relatively quiet amps, remote blower mounting might be an
> option.

etc.  I can see the requirement for quiet fans/blowers and for
remote mounting if one is in the broadcasting business.  But why
not just put headphones on, and place a small, directional mike (if
you use a mike at all ;>) right near your mouth, and let the blower
BLOW!?

I've got a fai- sized squirrel cage blowing over my 4cx1500b, full
speed, all the time, and the tube gets, well, warm during the busy
times of a CW contest.  Air and cool are the friends of amps...
quiet isn't necessarily good!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT