[Amps] CBer??

wl fuqua wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:52:55 -0500

         I was raised to obey laws.  So when after listing to shortwave for
a few years I became interested in becoming a radio operator.
         Those days you had to have a CB license to operate and to obtain
one you had to be at least 18 years old. With the
limitations of range and power it was obvious that I should get a ham
license. I first got my novice and then
general about 8 months later. I built my first transmitter (200 watt CW)
while I was in the 8th grade. I designed it
myself using information from the Radio Amateurs Handbook.  I don't think I
would have been motivated to do so
as a CB operator because of the lack of knowledge of the people that I
would have been working with as compared to
the ham radio community. By being in the ham community I had access to lots
of experienced people  when I needed
help.

      CB would been quite a distraction and would delayed my electronics
education considerably. I may not have become
an engineer if I had not become a ham. It was my eagerness to understand
electronics as a ham that improved my math
skills to the point where I could pursue a carrier in electronics.  I was
on of those that needed apply math to
understand it well.
         Today, such things as internet and CB are just distractions for
young people. On CB they learn right away to
get amplifiers and make mods to operate illegally and no motivation to
really learn anything except vulgar vocabulary.

         I am now am involved in teaching young people radio theory and
construction techniques to advance them beyond
just having a license. And in doing so they are also introduced to RF
applications in science and medicine.
RF technology is not just used communication.

73
Bill wa4lav