[Amps] Eimac vs Svetlana

Karl-Arne Markström Karl-Arne Markström
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:23:52 +0100

I can second this.

My organization (Stockholm Radio) runs several Collins 208U-10 10 kW amplifiers for air/ground SSB services that used Eimac 4CX350A's in the driver chain.
During the final time before the driver chains were replaced with solid-state broad-band amplifiers (1997-98) the average filament hours before replacement (usually due to gassy tubes or low emission) was down to about 3000 h.

When we obtained the amplifiers (1988), the average running time was about a year (8500 - 9000 h).
I have been told by Rockwell/Collins field engineering that the US Coast Guard, another big 208U-10 user,
went through a 4CX350A evaluation program in the mid-90's and after this selected Svetlana for all future replacements.

Today's short replacement cycle of 4CX350A's (and probably also the replacement cost of the P-290A final tube) reportedly also resulted in the consignment to the scrap heap of Greenland Telecom's quite large setup of Granger 172-2 MF/HF transmitters. (A pity that they learned too late about the solid-state driver replacement that extended the life of our Grangers by 8 years...)

73/

Karl-Arne Markstrom
SM0AOM

Senior Radio Engineer