[Amps] CB'ers - what *IS* the problem, anyway???

Rich 2@vc.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:26:17 -0800

>Hmm..
>
>What *IS* the real difference between a modern "Amateur" operator and a
>CB'er, anyway.  Yes, back in the old days (before the dumbing down of the
>amateur radio test) there was a real technical difference between *most*
>(but not all) of the CB'ers and amateurs.
>
>However, I have met many CB'ers who are VERY technical - can design (not
>just assemble) equipment, ... ...

**  Last week, I received several e-mails and telephone calls from a CBer
who was constructing a 3cx15,000A7 AB2 g-g amp. using a 3kV anode supply.
  He was having problems getting it to work  properly, and he had some
questions, which I answered.  In a few days, he got it to work.  My
impression was that he was interested in the science behind getting it to
amplify linearly.  Hopefully, he will someday get a license.