Fwd: Re: [Amps] CB'ers - what *IS* the problem, anyway???

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:05:25 -0500

> [...]
>>:-)  It's nice to have a discussion without name calling or degrading comments.
>>
>>But, my experience contradicts the last set of comments ..... to wit:
>>

>>>Ham:
>>>Have call signs,  identify themselves and do so proudly
>>
>>SOMETIMES - sometimes, not.  We *regularly* have problems with jammers,
>>malicious QRM'ers and others who do NOT identify at any time.  Happens
>>all the time.  I have recordings of same.
>>
>>>Have standards of operation and rules that must be followed
>>
>>Well, they certainly don't HAVE to be followed :-) - otherwise we
>>wouldn't have the interference and jamming problems.  In fact, one of
>>these guys called me ON THE PHONE and threatened to "punch my face" at
>>the next hamfest.  Real adult behaviour.  I called the police and
>>reported the incident.  Nothing foul ever came of it, but it was certanly
>>a felony.
>

>If you check the FCC enforcement logs there are a number of hams that have
>been cited and some loose license and more for QRM etc.  At least we
>attempt to enforce the rules and when complaints go to the FCC they are
>often acted on.
>

>>>Have system of monitoring and reporting problems with behavior or
>>>equipment problems (Official Observers)
>>>Are licensed ( which is a contract that states that they will abide by
>>>the rules and regulations set by FCC
>>
>>>Do not have problem with illegal sales of drugs or prostitution on their
>>>bands.
>>
>>Oh, I have to say this is just not true.  Ok, I've never heard a ham
>>looking for tricks, but I certainly have heard drug deals set up over the
>>air.  Not recently, but during the '70s :-)
>         I was active in the 60s and 70s and don't recall ever hearing any
> drug deals then.
>
>>>Do not promote the use of vulgar language
>>
>>Well, this is just not so.  When these guys get drunk, it really flies.
>>

>>>illegal CB operators:
>>>Disguise their identity
>>>have no concern to follow any standard of conduct, operations
>>>Have no way to maintain quality standards in their ranks.
>>>The bands are full of vulgar speaking operators and illegal solicitations.
>>>etc etc
>>
>>Illegal ham operators do the same thing, and I have certainly seen all of
>>this happen.  Happens frequently, unfortunately - at least on 75
>>meters.  Sometimes on 160, too - which used to be the "gentleman's band".
>>
>>>Building and experimenting is returning mostly in the form of QRP.
>>
>>Oh no, don't believe it!  There is PLENTY of experimenting, and real
>>designing and invention happening on ham radio every day.  And, it's high
>>power, modern technology.  I can, off the top of my head, produce a list
>>of probably 50 amateurs who I know of  who are experimenting and
>>building.  And these are just folks *I* know about, and I'm just one
>>person, in the New England region.
>>
>>Seriously, there is a lot of building and experimenting
>>happening.   Here's one place to check it

In comparison to the class E amplifier builders there are many times QRP
builders.
Most new hams that do experimentation are doing QRP stuff and enjoy the use
of computers and DSP stuff.

Hams like me like designing it all, QRP or QRO.

I teach two radio theory and construction workshops. One thru our ham club
and the other for  physicist   in our department.
The physicist are learning some new stuff in the class.  Monday we I will
be reviewing quartz crystals, oscillators and filters with a number of
demonstrations.