[Amps] CB'ers - what *IS* the problem, anyway???

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:06:36 -0500

         Sorry if that bothers you. Too, many think hams are a lazy bunch
and confuse us with CBers.
If you have knowledge it is best to share it.
My ham related class is aimed at younger students. That does not
necessarily mean kids but
at an age where they still have career options. Working in technical
hobbies with good instructors
can really make a difference.

The other class involves Physics research. RF technology is use a great
deal in science.
Often research instruments are not available off the shelf for making some
measurements.
That is when we have to develop our own. I am the only RF person in our
physics department so
I am trying to convey as much knowledge to our research professors as
possible before I retire,
perhaps in a couple of years. Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more
difficult to find
people with broad range of experience in RF techniques. That is another
reason why I am working on
getting young people into ham radio.I want to take them beyond just getting
a license and talking
on the radio. The ARRL is more interested in getting young people licensed
thru the "Big Project" while
I am interested in getting them to think and learn more by using math,
doing experiments and designing
their own radios and learning about science.

73
Bill wa4lav

73
Bill wa4lav