[Amps] Meter Shunts

Ed edw3nr@nexband.com
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 19:07:16 -0500

I want to get away from the low value hand-made meter shunts. I plan on
using the meter (a 0-1 ma) as a voltmeter to measure the drop across
more standard values of resistance. Knowing that my Ohms Law is a little
   rusty, I am looking for some re-assurance that I'm right. The
metering circuit is in the B- CT return and the B- is floating 10 ohms
from chassis ground. If I change the meter to a 1 volt voltmeter, do I
then need a 1 ohm resistor to measure 1 amp FS of Plate current and a
3.3 resistor to measure 300 ma FS of Grid Current ?. Of course there
will be a 1k resistor in series with the meter. Is this corrext ??.

Next question is exactly where and what is needed for diodes to protect
the meter ? I have seen so many different commbinations and placements
that I'm totally confused. What is the current consensus ??.

Thanks...es 73

Ed W3NR