[Amps] Meter Shunts

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:17:13 -0500

         The diodes serve another purpose. That is, if the shunt should
open the current will flow thru the diode and not allow the
negative lead of a high voltage supply go to high voltage.  The reason of
putting the plate current meter in the negative lead is so that there is no
high voltage on it if there is an open circuit.  Same goes for the plate
voltage meter. It should be at the low voltage end of  the resistor chain
and a   set of diodes across it as well so if it opens up HV will not be on
the meter.
         You really don't want the front panel meters hot. Several KV per
cm electric field can deflect the meter and cause some error. Another is if
you should bump into it and break the glass you are in for a real surprise
(ZAP).
           Also you should make sure you use big slow power diodes. They
will not rectify RF and drive the meter crazy.
I knew a guy that had built a very nice homebrew amplifier. When he was
provided some drive to it his plate current would drop so low that it
seemed that the amplifier had an efficiency of greater than 100 percent. He
had used signal diodes across the meter. He replaced them with some
cheap  power supply rectifiers and the meter readings became more realistic.

73
Bill wa4lav