[Amps] Neutral vs Ground Connection for 220 VAC

Paul Christensen w9ac@arrl.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:14:36 -0500

Mike,

An excellent question and its one I wrestled with painfully when connecting my Alpha 77Dx to service in my new home....

Most amateur amplifiers do not require a neutral when configured for 240VAC service.  The sole purpose of the neutral in these
applications is to adequately carry 120 VAC current: In the case of the Alpha 77, 77Dx/Sx, 70A, and 70V it is only the blower that
requires 120 VAC irrespective of the 120/240 tap configuration in the amp.  That blower always needs to see 120 VAC and it is not
transformer tap-dependant.  I suspect your Henry is wired in a similar way.  This requires four wires: LINE-NEUTRAL-GROUND-LINE
service.  Remember, current should only flow through a neutral...never a ground.  The Alpha manual suggests that tying the neutral
and ground together at the amp is allowable.  Back in 1970, perhaps it was....but as you'll see, its a safety hazard.

While its true that the US wiring standard calls for the neutral and ground to be tied together, this is ONLY allowed at one point:
the service distribution panel.  Neutral and ground should never come together anywhere else in the electrical network.  Why?  If a
neutral fault occurs (e.g., opens up) at the equipment end, current now flows through the ground wire (because neutral and ground
are tied together at the panel), causing your BNC connectors, SO-239, RCA connectors and any other grounded connector on the back of
your amplifier to conduct current for the 120 VAC demand; and thus the amplifier case has now become hot.  If the blower had the
ability to adapt 240 VAC through changeable taps as is the case in most amps, this would not be a problem and the required service
would be LINE-GROUND-LINE....and no neutral.

My solution and in my opinion, the ONLY correct solution for these amps is to run four-wire service to the panel.  I used a 30A
4-wire Hubbell Twist-Lock connector and was purchased from Home Depot.  Fortunately, this change required no mods to the Alpha amp.
To my surprise, Alpha tied neutral and ground together at the Cinch-Jones power plug.  I simply cut the jumper on the power cord
plug.

-Paul, W9AC