[Amps] Eimac vs Svetlana

Skram, Helge (MED) helge.skram@med.ge.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:39:50 +0100

Hello

I confronted Eimac with the information below, concerning quality of Eimac
vs Svetlana.
In a previous posting there were more statements about Eimac that were
strange.
I am interested in this, because there have been stories in Norway about
Eimac that proved to be lies.
I can assure I hav no connection or bonds to Eimac.

Previous stories that proved to be lies:

1.Eimac is no longer manufacturing the small coaxial tubes (for radio
amateurs), only the big tubes (Pd>3kW).
2.Eimac has licenced the 8877 to be manufactured in China. It has not the
Eimac logo but it is Eimac quality.
3.Tubes sold by Tomstubes is purchased in the back yard of the Svetlana
factory and are tubes that fail to pass the   quality control. You should
not buy any of these.

I have the responses from Eimac and Tom Hix to these claims, in my email
box. In short form it was:
Eimac is still doing and will manufacture all tubes in their product
listing.
There have never been and will never be production of 8877 in China. 8877
tubes from China are copies.
Tom Hix in Tomstubes was very upset ! Tom purchases tubes from Russian
military storage and all tubes are equal quality to the tubes that are
branded Svetlana.

There seems to be a pattern in these stories that smells of bad marketing
and lack of integrity.
I think there is a single offspring, but so far I can not prove who it may
be.

If you compare Svetlana specifications with the original russian
specification you will find differences. Why ?
If you look at the claimed lifetime in the original russian specs, they are
not impressive at all.
The Svetlana 4CX350A may very well last 8000h, that is considerable more
than the typical 500 hour specs.

I have a W2GN style 144MHz amp with Svetlana 2x 4CX400a that works fine.
Don't tell me lie stories about Eimac tubes, that don't sell me any more
Svetlana tubes, grrrrrrrrr.

Helge Skram
LA6MV