[AMPS] Alpha 76 and 78 tube conversions

Jimmy Jones jjones@etex.net
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 09:14:57 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_009F_01C1ABCA.154017F0

What a deal. You are just like everyone else in the world. You can't do =
it, but it can't be that hard and hell IT'S NOT WORTH ANYTHING.
You should supply the tubes and sockets at no cost for that deal.
N5IFI
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Hix=20
  To: amps=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 2:05 AM
  Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 76 and 78 tube conversions

  I dont know if any of you builders have ever paid any attention to the =
Svetlana gi7b/gi7bt triodes, but if you haven't you should. These are =
really neat tubes, and I can supply them at a great price.=20

  I believe these tubes would possibly be a good solution for many of =
the people who own the older Alpha amps like the 76 and 78 series, who =
dont want to pay $1200.00 to $1500.00 to retube their amps. These tubes =
are really heavy duty. A pair of them will give you about 1200 to 1400 =
watts depending on voltage and drive. There is an article on my site =
about the conversion a friend of mine did on an older Dentron amp that =
ran 4 572b tubes. He put in a pair of the gi7b tubes and was able to =
make a real nice amp out of it. He gets about 1200 to 1300 watts out on =
the pair of gi7b tubes.=20

  Since the 8874 tubes for the 76 and 78 series Alpha amps have gone up =
so high, I am constantly getting calls from people wanting to know if =
there is a substitute they can get for the 8874 tubes. Of course there =
are no direct replacements, but these gi7b tubes might just be a good =
choice as replacements for the 8874 tubes.

  I really hate to see anyone have to rework a perfectly good amp like =
the alpha 76 or 78, but the price on the 8874 tubes have gone up so much =
that you can actually buy a good amp for what it would cost to retube =
these amps. I get calls every week from Alpha 76 and 78 owners facing =
this very situation. Most of them tell me they will just have to stop =
using their amps because they are not willing to spend the money to =
retube their amps. They will either have to set them aside or find =
another tube they can replace the 8874 with. So it is a real dilemma for =
these owners to decide what to do. Turn the amps out to pasture or =
replace the tubes with something they can afford.=20

  I am not an amp builder. I wish I knew a lot more about    building =
amps or reworking existing amps, but I am to old, fat, dumb and lazy to =
learn know. BUT.....I know many of you folks on this list are the very =
best at building and repairing amps.

  SO..............Here is what I am thinking of doing. Just to see if =
the gi7b tubes can be a decent replacement for the 8874 tubes. If =
someone who knows what they are doing has an amp that has the 8874's in =
it, and they want to change those out and would like to try the gi7b =
tubes, I will sell you, for my cost, a pair of these gi7b tubes, and a =
matching set of sockets.

  The person who wants to do this can take a look at what I send them =
and determine if the tubes and sockets will physically fit into the =
cabinet. If they will then he can pay me for the tubes and sockets at my =
cost......all I ask is that when the conversion is completed that the =
person who does the work, will send me a schematic of the conversion and =
a full set of pictures detailing each step of the conversion. I want =
this so I can share it on my web site with all the other amateurs who =
want to change out their 8874 tubes to something else like the gi7b. So =
if you know what you are doing, and have a good digital camera and can =
send me the pictures of the project via email, then contact me. I would =
love to see if this could be done, and I know the entire group of older =
Alpha owners would really appreciate finding out if there is another =
tube they can use, and what it will take to make it happen.

  If any of you are interested in trying this, just send me a reply and =
we will see what we can work out. I have no idea if any of this is even =
feasible or not, but I sure do wish I could help out these guys with =
these beautiful old amps.

  Thanks for your time and comments will be welcome.

  73

  Tom Hix..................w4th

  Tom's Tubes: Your Russian Tube Connection. Specializing in Amateur =
Amplifier Tubes, Heavy Duty Antenna Tuners, Remote or local ladderline & =
coax antenna switches.=20

  http://www.tomstubes.com

-----
  MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click =
Here
  -- FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps Submissions: =
amps@contesting.com Administrative requests: amps-REQUEST@contesting.com =
Problems: owner-amps@contesting.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_009F_01C1ABCA.154017F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What a deal.&nbsp;You are just like =
everyone else=20
in the world. You can't do it, but it can't be that hard and hell IT'S =
NOT WORTH=20
ANYTHING.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You should supply the tubes and =
sockets&nbsp;at no=20
cost for that deal.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>N5IFI</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:w4th@hotmail.com" title=3Dw4th@hotmail.com>Tom =
Hix</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A href=3D"mailto:amps"=20
  title=3Damps>amps</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, February 02, =
2002 2:05=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [AMPS] Alpha 76 and 78 =
tube=20
  conversions</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <P>I dont know if any of you builders have ever paid any attention to =
the=20
  Svetlana gi7b/gi7bt triodes, but if you haven't you should. These are =
really=20
  neat tubes, and I can supply them at a great price. </P>
  <P>I believe these tubes would possibly be a good solution for many of =
the=20
  people who own the older Alpha amps like the 76 and 78 series, who =
dont want=20
  to pay $1200.00 to $1500.00 to retube their amps. These tubes are =
really heavy=20
  duty. A pair of them will give you about 1200 to 1400 watts depending =
on=20
  voltage and drive. There is an article on my site about the conversion =
a=20
  friend of mine did on an older Dentron amp that ran 4 572b tubes. He =
put in a=20
  pair of the gi7b tubes and was able to make a real nice amp out of it. =
He gets=20
  about 1200 to 1300 watts out on the pair of gi7b tubes. </P>
  <P>Since the 8874 tubes for the 76 and 78 series Alpha amps have gone =
up so=20
  high, I am constantly getting calls from people wanting to know if =
there is a=20
  substitute they can get for the 8874 tubes. Of course there are no =
direct=20
  replacements, but these gi7b tubes might just be a good choice as =
replacements=20
  for the 8874 tubes.</P>
  <P>I really hate to see anyone have to rework a perfectly good =
amp&nbsp;like=20
  the alpha 76 or 78, but the price&nbsp;on the 8874 tubes =
have&nbsp;gone up so=20
  much that you can actually buy a good amp for what it would cost to =
retube=20
  these amps. I get calls every week from&nbsp;Alpha 76 and 78 owners =
facing=20
  this very situation. Most of them tell me they will just have to stop =
using=20
  their amps because&nbsp;they are not willing to spend the money to =
retube=20
  their amps. They will either&nbsp;have to set them aside or find =
another tube=20
  they can replace the 8874 with. So it is a real dilemma for these =
owners to=20
  decide what to do. Turn the amps out to pasture or replace the tubes =
with=20
  something they can afford.&nbsp;</P>
  <P>I am not an amp builder. I wish I knew a lot more =
about&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  building&nbsp;amps&nbsp;or reworking existing amps, but I am to old, =
fat, dumb=20
  and lazy to learn know. BUT.....I know many of you folks on this list =
are the=20
  very best at building and repairing amps.</P>
  <P>SO..............Here is what I am thinking of doing. Just to see if =
the=20
  gi7b tubes can be a decent replacement for the 8874 tubes. If someone =
who=20
  knows what they are doing has an amp that has the 8874's in it, and =
they want=20
  to change those out and would like to try the gi7b tubes, I will sell=20
  you,&nbsp;for my cost, a pair of these gi7b tubes, and a matching set =
of=20
  sockets.</P>
  <P>The person who wants to do this can take a look at what I send=20
  them&nbsp;and determine if the tubes and sockets&nbsp;will physically =
fit into=20
  the cabinet. If they will then he can pay me for the tubes and sockets =
at my=20
  cost......all I ask is that when the conversion is completed that the =
person=20
  who does the work, will send me a schematic of the conversion and a =
full set=20
  of pictures detailing each step of the conversion. I want this so I =
can share=20
  it on my web site with&nbsp;all the other amateurs who want to change =
out=20
  their 8874 tubes to something else like the gi7b. So if you know what =
you are=20
  doing, and have a good digital camera and can send me the pictures of =
the=20
  project via email, then contact me. I would love to see if this could =
be done,=20
  and I know the entire group of older Alpha owners would really =
appreciate=20
  finding out if there is another tube they can use, and what it will =
take to=20
  make it happen.</P>
  <P>If any of you are interested in trying this, just send me a reply =
and we=20
  will see what we can work out. I have no idea if any of this is even =
feasible=20
  or not, but I sure do wish I could help out these guys with these =
beautiful=20
  old amps.</P>
  <P>Thanks for your time and comments will be welcome.</P>
  <P>73</P>
  <P>Tom Hix..................w4th<BR><BR><BR></P>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <P><FONT color=3D#ff0066>Tom's Tubes: Your Russian Tube Connection. =
Specializing=20
  in Amateur Amplifier Tubes, Heavy Duty Antenna Tuners, Remote or local =

  ladderline &amp; coax antenna switches. </FONT></P>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <P><A =
href=3D"http://www.tomstubes.com/">http://www.tomstubes.com</A></P>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
  <HR>
  MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: <A=20
  href=3D"http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag3_etl_EN.asp">Click Here</A><BR>-- =
FAQ on=20
  WWW: http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps Submissions: =
amps@contesting.com=20