[AMPS] Power out indicator

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:27:05 -0500

> The tuner for the British Army D11/D13 tx's could certainly do it.
>
> I've seen it in a Z match, too. Not often - depends on the load. I
> don't like the Z match anyway.

With a reasonable load connected? No way!

Perhaps you are confusing an unwanted self-resonance in a roller
with the tuner "loading into itself".

> >What does happen is there is a smooth and gradual reduction in
> >efficiency as the Q is made higher,
>
> Especially in a Z match - which is why I don't like it.

The reduction in efficiency is so gradual and slight no one would
ever notice. Long before the power drops substantially, a
component will fail. Unless you are running less than a few hundred
watts into a tuner capable of a few kilowatts when properly tuned.

People just need to learn to use the maximum possible
capacitance that allows a match in a T network. That really is
pretty simple.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com