[AMPS] Power out indicator

Steve Thompson g8gsq@qsl.net
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:50:06 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Chadwick <Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com>
To: amps <amps@contesting.com>; 'W8JI@contesting.com' <W8JI@contesting.com>
Date: 19 February 2002 08:06
Subject: RE: [AMPS] Power out indicator
snip
>>People just need to learn to use the maximum possible
>>capacitance that allows a match in a T network.
>
>Of course. And to remember that the L network has a Q fixed by the ratio of
>impedances, so that the extra component in a T can allow a much lower
working Q
>and so offer higher efficiency.
I'm wide open to correction here, but I think If you are matching between
two resitances, the L match has the lowest loaded Q. To get lower, you have
to cascade L matches. Doodling on a Smith chart, I reckon that pi or T
matches have a higher minimum loaded Q. (Isn't a T match with one cap set
inifintely high for lowest Q an L match?).

Can't spare time right now to figure if it applies to complex impedances
too.

Steve