[AMPS] Antenna tuner

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:23:24 -0500

> Now I have another question.  The schematic I'm following for the
> tuner calls for a 1700 pf capacitor, in series to ground, on the input
> link.

Current in that link capacitor system is always equal to the line
current, so you can get the approximate current using standard
power formula's in the Handbook and other places. I=sqr root of
P/R, so current would be about 5.5 amps with 1500 watts.

Some doorknobs will handle that, some won't.

The voltage across that capacitor will be current above times Xc at
the operating frequency, so you might have almost any voltage
from a few volts to several thousand volts depending on how much
C you use and the frequency. If you adjust the tuner so you use a
lot of capacitance, voltage will be very low.

The vacuum variable will be a poor capacitor choice, because the
link capacitor often has to be moved in value a large amount. It is
also generally not critical to tune, because Q is often very low in
the link. Use an air variable if you can find one, and when you
adjust the tuner use the maximum C you possibly can.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com