[AMPS] mof resistors

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 07:18:41 -0800

>I am open to correction on this (Eu members should be able to confirm) but I
>think the standard Phillips product resistors are metal film and very
>stable.

Higher values of R may be carbon film.  Values under 10‡ are typically
metal film.  10‡ - 100k‡ are usually metal oxide film.

 Unless one performs a 1-hour overload test, "think" = guess.

 For some applications, intrinsic L is important.  An example would be
VHF/UHF parasitic suppressor service.  For suppressor service, >15nH is
probably not good engineering practice.  Measuring intrinsic L is not
easy.  A 50W "non-inductive" Globar typically has c. 60nH - - - but so
does 15mm copper tubing of the same length.

cheers, Barry

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end