[AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp

Jon Ogden na9d@speakeasy.net
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 07:43:58 -0600

One more comment on why people run high plate voltages could be that they
don't have very stiff power supplies.  Like I stated in the earlier post
that my supply drops from about 6KV to 5.2 KV under load.  One could
probably do better than that with more filter caps, larger gauge AC mains
wire, etc.  There's probably worse designs out there as well.  So if you
don't have a good power supply design, you could easily be under 5 KV under
load.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 1/3/02 6:27 AM, Mike McCarthy, W1NR at w1nr@eecorp.com wrote:

> Why does everyone insist that the 4-1000 needs in excess of 5kV to run legal
> limit?  I have built several that easily put out 1500W with only 4-4.5 kV
> and 100W from a solid state rig.  Am I just using good tubes vs. ones near
> the end of life?  Probably.
>
> I would use bandpass coax stubs to keep harmonics down with only an "L"
> network.
>
> Mike, W1NR

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)